Monday, September 27, 2010

Week #4 Reflection Sarah Sumsion

Today we learned about vidcasting. We learned about the different tools to create one such as a flip phone, powerpoint, photostory and jing. (I could totally get sucked into doing this - appeals to me in every way.)

I can see the value of a vidcast, especially with the direction technology is going. Students are accustomed to watching vidcasts so using one in class would be a valuable addition, as I have rarely seen them utilized in the schools I've subbed in. You would have to have the technology to show one though (computer hooked up to a projector). I can't imagine 30 kids crowded around a laptop screen - but I guess you could. These do seem to take quite a bit of time to create, but if teachers were collaborating and each creating one they could be shared.

In all these things we have been creating (google docs, podcasts, vidcasts, etc) I feel so strongly that students could easily create these and probably do a better job than some teachers. I would love to teach students how to create one - but it may not be feasible based on resources, time, etc. For students who are absent, the vidcast could catch them up on things they missed - especially if you were filming yourself and holding up the worksheet, book, art project, etc. Whether or not they had access to it - they could at least know what they missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment