Monday, October 11, 2010

Reflection #6 Sarah Sumsion

Today in Instructional Media we learned about digital stories. We learned what defines them and how to create them using different tools, design aspects, mood, etc.

I can see digital stories being very beneficial in a classroom. Although the amount of time they seem to take right now can be overwhelming, perhaps we would get faster at making them with experience. Digital stories can enhance any unit such as social studies, science, math, art, literacy, etc.

After having them carefully explained and described I realized how much we already see digital stories everyday (YouTube, biographies on TV, clips about how to do something, advertisements, educational media, etc.) I felt very emotionally jerked around in class. I am so sensitive about cruelties to other human beings that I was fighting back more serious emotions and reactions to the holocaust images we saw. I was moved as well by the Gettysburg address clip. I don't like feeling emotional in class that way - but I guess the point was made. Music and photography are 2 of my "passions" - so putting them together with technology is exciting to me. The draw back will most certainly be if there are limited technological resources (computers, projectors, etc.) in the school I teach in. How else would you possibly utilize this without having everyone hovering around a laptop screen?

No comments:

Post a Comment